- The Use of Environmental Clauses in French Public Procurement (with Anissa Boulemia)
- Public-Private Partnerships in France: Who, Why and Why not? (with Phuong Tra Tran)
- Does Electoral Turnout Affect the Intergenerational Conflict over the Provision of Public Education? (with Mickael Melki)
- The Direct and Indirect Effect of Safety Regulation on Quality: a Cautionary Tale from the French "Robien Law" (with Lisa Chever)
- Do politicians procure their way to Congress? An empirical analysis of public procurement and elections (with Eshien Chong and John Moore)
- The quality of governance and the use of negotiated procedures: Some (un)-surprising evidence from the European Union (with Eshien Chong and Stéphane Saussier)
- The Dynamics of the Political Budget Cycle: An empirical examination of municipal spending in Austria
- Michael Klien (2014): The political side of public utilities: How opportunistic behaviour and yardstick competition shape water prices in Austria. Forthcoming in Papers in Regional Science. DOI 10.1111/pirs.12101.
- Michael Klien (2014): Tariff increases over the electoral cycle: A question of size and salience. European Journal of Political Economy. 36(4), 228–242.
- Michael Klien (2014): Corporatization and the Behavior of Public Firms: How Shifting Control Rights Affects Political Interference in Water Prices. Review of Industrial Organization. 44(4), 393-422.
- Michael Klien (2012): Institutional and Political Aspects of Public Infrastructure Provision. Doctoral Thesis, WU Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Markus Leibrecht, Michael Klien and Oezlem Onaran (2011): Globalization, welfare regimes and social protection expenditures in Western and Eastern European countries. Public Choice, 148(3), 569-595.